United States ; Massachusetts (MA) Berkshires ; Lenox ; ... 293 Main St, Lenox, MA 01240-2387. as she is listed in the 1885 directory as having a house and lot on Main Street. Hotel Aspinwall was built in 1902 by lawyer, businessman, and Civil War officer Thomas H. Hubbard. Grade: Previous Next. $7.87. Shop Aspinwall Hotel Lenox, Massachusetts Postcard and more music, movie, and TV memorabilia at Amazon's Entertainment Collectibles Store. Dewey, who established a home in the area by 1764, was one of the proprietors of Lenox and served in a number of public positions. LENOX — On a clear day, with the aid of a telescope, it is said that the view from the top of Hotel Aspinwall stretched as far as Worcester in one direction and to Albany, N.Y., and the Hudson River in the other. He left Lenox for Vermont in the early 1790’s, and after several changes in ownership the property was acquired by Zadock Hubbard in 1798. By 1890 the house was being rented. George R. Bull, clerk at Hotel Aspinwall, discovered the fire and telephoned an alarm to the central telephone station. We went for a short walk by our hotel, and found the ruins of the Aspinwall Hotel. house. It was built in 1902 by Thomas H. Hubbard, a New York lawyer and businessman who had served as a colonel in the Civil War many years earlier. It offered steam heat, Telegraph service, long distance telephone, resident physician, modern fire equipment, elevators, built into brick shafts. In 1829 a brick hotel was built by Peck and Phelps, “at the urgent request and demand of persons attending the courts for increased and sufficient accommodations.”  For short time iw was rented to George W. Platner, and was then purchased by major S. Wilson. Lenox, Massachusetts MA Postcards from collection of 2 Million Vintage Post Cards that date back from 1893 to the modern photo chrome era of the late 1970s. Hiking up this Park reveals the foundation of the Aspinwall Hotel. According to one mid-century guidebook “ the principal hotel – so situated as to command a favorable view, both of the village and distant scenery – has become, under the care of its efficient proprietor, M.S. Israel Dewey House/ Hubbard Tavern/ Dana Summer Home/ Birchwood Inn. Contributor Names Detroit Publishing Co., copyright claimant Detroit Publishing Co., publisher Created / Published … The rest of the property was saved from the fire, but the hotel was never rebuilt, and the forest soon began to reclaim the property. Five stories tall and 1,400 feet above sea level, Hotel Aspinwall offered views that stretched for … BOSTON MA – Hotel Lenox Palm Room – udb – 1907. After failed attempts to revitalize the hotel by new owners in 1970 and 1976, the town of Lenox acquired the building in 1979 and converted it to use as housing for the elderly, with retail space on the first floor. The hotel attracted a number of notable guests over the years. to Mrs. Cruger of New York, and around 1911 it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Ross Whistler, who renamed it Hidden House. Image courtesy of the Library of Congress, Detroit Publishing Company Collection. These became known as “Curtis Cottages” and their occupants as “cottagers”; this has been cited as the origin of the term “cottagers” to describe wealthy summer residents in Berkshire. As the Berkshire Eagle described it in a 1956 feature article, “If the millionaires who used to summer in Lenox during the early 20th century were not among those owning estates here, they probably stayed at the old Aspinwall Hotel.” The article identified guests such as Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, actress Lillian Russell, Senator and railroad magnate Chauncey Depew, Massachusetts governor James Michael Curley, New York mayor Seth Low, and Austro-Hungarian ambassador Konstantin Dumba. Henry Ward Beecher, Sen. Charles Sumner, Gens. The hotel’s own firefighting systems had been shut down for the winter, and the closest fire hydrant was nearly a mile away. Mrs. Kuhn, who also purchased Butternut Cottage, owned the entire lot along Main St. from Greenwood to the Kingsland House (at the junction of Main and Cliffwood Streets). The fire got out of control, and with help so very far away, the Eyrie House never had a chance. Much like the nearby ruins of the Apsinwall Hotel in Lenox, the Eyrie House met an unfortunate end due to vicious fires. 46 dishes. Postal Year Used: Unused. High School of Commerce, Springfield, Mass, Return Strong House, Windsor, Connecticut. Mr. Schermerhorn named the house “The Lanai”. Postally unused "Phostint" by Detroit Publishing #13717. Lenox, MA 1906 Postcard: Hotel Aspinwall - Massachusetts Mass. City: Lenox. 135 Main St, Lenox, MA 01240-2396 0.7 miles from Aspinwall Equestrian Center #2 Best Value of 995 places to stay in Lenox “We stayed at the Garden Gables Inn during Covid, but being MA residents we felt safe with all the precautions they're taking. According to a turn-of-the-century magazine article, “Few Congregational Churches in Massachusetts have so fine a home for their ministers”. This charming Queen Anne style home stands on the site of the original Congregational parsonage, a brick building dating from 1852. Legend has it that the owner of the Eyrie House was alone at the hotel, and attempted to cremate one of his fallen horses in 1901. As mentioned in the post featuring the hotel’s entrance, the Hotel Aspinwall was built in 1902 by lawyer, businessman, and Civil War officer Thomas H. Hubbard. In 1951, it was sold again,  renamed Garden Gables and opened it as an Inn and gift shop. still image. This corner has been the sight of an inn of some sort since at least 1773 when the tavern standing here served as a stop on the stagecoach route from Hudson, N.Y. to Pittsfield. shipping: + $1.65 shipping . Items DAILY MENU, LUNCHEON [held by] HOTEL ASPINWALL [at] "LENOX, MA" (HOTEL;) x Print Current image. By the 1890’s it had fallen into disrepair and the congregation elected to build a new house on the same site. Traffic in the town increased after Lenox was made the county seat in 1784. All images; Print Cancel + o-^ Scrollwheel Zoom. $12.99. The lot was purchased from the owner of that house, Lucy Cottrell by Electa Eddy in 1880. Stevens, who named in Sunnyhome (also “Sunnyholm”). Website. In 1924 the nine hole golf course was expanded to eighteen holes and the ‘Lenox Golf Club’ was formed in association with the Aspinwall and Curtis Hotels both of which used the course for their guests. The exact source of the fire was never identified, but most likely theory seems to be that it was started with a carelessly disposed cigarette from one of these parties. #6 – Aspinwall Hotel (Lenox, MA) And once again, this was another place we just found. This house was built on the site of an earlier house demolished in the late 1870’s. There was not enough water pressure in the 4,000-foot hose from the hydrant to effectively fight the fire, so most of the firefighting efforts were on preventing the fire from spreading to the other buildings or to the forest. In 1885 it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Dana of New York and was remodeled for use as a summer home. In 1806 the building was sold to Azariah Egleston, a locally prominent man, and converted back to a private residence. Zoom; Rotate; View as Book; Print; DAILY MENU, LUNCHEON [held by] HOTEL ASPINWALL [at] "LENOX, MA" (HOTEL;) Type of Resource. During your visit to the park, you may find the remnants of the hotel, such as stone foundations and walls, now devoured by nature. Date July 4, 1906 Sponsor HOTEL ASPINWALL. It was located on over 400 acres of land atop a hill just north of the center of Lenox, and with 225 guest rooms accommodating up to 425 people, it was among the largest hotels in the Berkshires. In 1886, it was sold to John Egmont. https://lostnewengland.com/2016/02/hotel-aspinwall-lenox-mass-1 DescriptionHotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA.jpg English:West front and flower garden, Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA; from a 1912 postcard printed by the Detroit Publishing Company. The east side of the Hotel Aspinwall, as seen around 1905-1915. Our inventory is sought by collectors of Art, Real Photo Photography, History Ephemera, Antique Paper Memorabilia and Rare Old Vintage Antique Postcard Collecting. Best nearby. The site is now Kennedy Park. 4.0 (1) ... Lenox, MA. It is currently operated as the White House Inn. In 1905, the house was sold to Caroline Katherine Carey (Miss Kate Carey), who moved the front portion of the house to its present location, adding on an extensive wing containing servants’ quarters and a storeroom, and apparently remodeling the entire. Now known as Kennedy Park, the hotel’s former driveway and trails are now used by hikers and cross country skiers, and there is little sign of the hotel that once stood here. George McClellan & William T. Sherman, Newspaper Editor Horace Greeley, Kentucky politician Cassius M. Clay, Robber Baron “Big Jim” Fiske, business magnate John Jacob Astor, poet James Russell Lowell and Curtis’s longtime friend, British actress Frances Ann “Fanny” Kemble, who nicknamed the hotel “The Old Red Hen.”  Writers Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864) and Herman Melville (1819-1891) said to have dined together in Curtis Hotel dining room, Nov 1851, possibly exchanging advance copies of their latest books, The Wonder Book and Moby Dick respectively, In 1885 it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Dana, In 1905, the house was sold to Caroline Katherine Carey. By the final decade of the 19th Century the Curtis served as overflow housing for owners of large estates, or was used by the estate-owners themselves before and after the “season” when their homes were not fully staffed. Preserve zoom level. Many guests returned year after year: some, desiring more space and privacy than the hotel rooms afforded, rented houses on Main and Walker Streets, also owned by the Curtis’s. The barn was 50 by 100 feet in size and contained 70 tons of hay. Many of these images are in the public domain, but some may still be under copyright protection, and are used here under an appropriate license. Built For Teams, Athletes, & Fans - Available To Everyone. Wilson, Esq., a favorite resort for visitors from the cities.”. Save Up To 70% On Hotels Closest To Aspinwall Equestrian Center In Lenox, MA. Join Jan Chague, Lenox Historical Society, to learn the secrets of Kennedy Park at a presentation given at Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary’s well-known 18th century barn. Aspinwall Difficult. Andrew Thompson purchased this lot in 1836, and built this house. It is included in this description of Lenox as a Gilded Age resort only because it reflects the way the prosperity of the time spread out to effect the lifestyle of even the humble Congregational minister. The hotel had not yet opened for the season, but the secluded location was reportedly popular for “petting parties,” as contemporary newspapers described it. It was located on over 400 acres of land atop a hill just north of the center of Lenox, and with 225 guest rooms accommodating up to 425 people, it was among the largest hotels in the Berkshires. RECOMMENDED ROUTE Bellows Pipe to Mt Greylock Summit 5.8 mi 9.4 km • 2,231' Up 679.9 m Up • 2,231' Down 679.86 m Down. Currently it is operated as Birchwood Inn. The house was substantially enlarged and altered after Mary Loring bought it in 1868. It had. spectacular views, luxurious rooms, guest houses, trails and important guests. Visit one of the fine restored treasures or see remnants of a foundation in Lenox’s Kennedy Park. 49 Other Attractions within 5 miles. Aspinwall Equestrian Center, Lenox: Address, Aspinwall Equestrian Center Reviews: 4.5/5. You will explore the remnants of a by-gone era through photos and learn about the people who traversed the land. The Hotel opened in 1902, was built on the old Aspinwall Woolsey estate, and had 400 rooms for cottagers. Hillside was built by Mrs. Hartman (Grace) Kuhn of Boston in 1870, and used by her during the ‘season’. When it was purchased in 1872 by Andrew and Harriet Servin it was completely remodeled. C-1910 Phostint Detroit Publishing Hotel Aspinwall Lenox Massachusetts 10052. Free shipping . This house was used as a parsonage until 1925, when the Congregational Church was given the Worthington House on Cliffwood Street which became the home of the minister. Beginning in the mid-nineteenth century, and accelerating rapidly after the Civil War, a stream of visitors came from New York, Boston, and other cities to experience the healthful climate, take in the views from its veranda, and join in the social activities that took place there. Place LENOX, MA. Unless otherwise specified, Lost New England does not own or claim rights to any of the historic images used on this site. In 1850 Horatio Sears purchased the property and resided in the house until his death in 1861. $9.99. Image is clean, clear and brightly colored with strong corners. Chocolate Springs Cafe (288) Motels near Aspinwall Equestrian Center, Lenox on Tripadvisor: Find 4,654 traveller reviews, 1,375 candid photos, and prices for motels near Aspinwall Equestrian Center in Lenox, MA. previous next. Massachusetts, MA, Lenox, postcards. The Curtis family was responsible for much of the hotel’s ensuing success, and William O. Curtis and his son, William D. Curtis, were active members of the community. By the early 1930s, America was in the midst of the Great Depression, and many historic grand hotels were struggling. Eliza Williams may have continued to live in the house as a tenant. Although subsequent owners kept it operational as a marginally successful hotel, the building suffered from some neglect and deterioration. You will explore the remnants of a by-gone era and learn about the people who traversed the land. Woodland path at Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, Mass. Hotels near Aspinwall Equestrian Center, Lenox on Tripadvisor: Find 10,291 traveller reviews, 1,347 candid photos, and prices for 30 hotels near Aspinwall Equestrian Center in Lenox, MA. Aspinall Hotel – 1902-1931 In 1902 General Thomas H Hubbard built the elegant Aspinwall Hotel in what is now Kennedy Park (Woolsey Wood s). 1-888-717-6283 (1-8 Rooms) Miss Carey used part of the first floor servants’ wing as a carpentry shop, where she built doll and bird houses. Based on maps that showed the hotel, this clearing appears to be approximately the center of the building, although without any identifiable landmarks left from the first photo, it is impossible to recreate the exact spot. PITTSFIELD, Mass., April 25.-- Fire of undetermined origin early today destroyed the Aspinwall Hotel at Lenox, causing as estimated loss of $1,000,000. The original temple front structure, which forms the core of the present building, was probably designed as a counterpart to the Second County Courthouse of 1816 (now the Lenox Library). Built in 1902 by General Thomas H. Hubbard, it burned to the ground in 1931. Adams, MA. West Garden, The Aspinwall - Lenox, Massachusetts MA Postcard Default Manufacturer West Garden, The Aspinwall ... Curtis Hotel - Lenox, Massachusetts MA Postcard Vintage Collectible Postcard. Another news article, published in the North Adams Transcript, indicated that John D. Rockefeller, Sr. was also a frequent guest at the hotel. 73 Restaurants within 5 miles. The hotel was purchased by William O.Curtis in 1853, and has been known as the Curtis Hotel ever since. A devastating fire in 1931 burned the once majestic hotel to the ground, and it was never rebuilt. Physical description FOLDER; ILLUS; COL; 5.25X8; Call number The loss of the County Court in 1868 had little impact on business at the Curtis, which by this time was catering to a growing number of seasonal visitors. They had recently added a baseball field and a 9-hole golf course, and they were working on adding more trails and bridle paths on the property when a fire started early in the morning on April 25, 1931. From about 1793 the Berkshire Coffee House operated on this site, and became famous as the gathering spot for people conducting business at the county Courthouse (then located across the street on the present site of Town Hall). It was run like one of the fine European Hotels. The fire was already well underway by the time the fire department learned of it, and at that point there was no way to save it. Nice old view!. SKU#: ma_lenox_0001. It measures 3 1/2" x 6 1/4".The Hotel opened in 1902, was built on the old Aspinwall Woolsey estate, and had 400 rooms for cottagers. We were staying up in the Berkshires as I had a big audition up there. Like many Berkshire householders, Dewey was licensed as an innkeeper. It burned suddenly in 1931. Mr. Whistler, who had made his fortune in railroads, was a nephew of the famous painter and brother of Joseph of Plumstead on Old Stockbridge Road. Eliza Williams House/ Butternut Cottage/ Garden Gables. However, here in Lenox, the Hotel Aspinwall was expanding. The original portion of the structure (corner of Hubbard and Main) was the home of Israel Dewey, one of Lenox’s earliest settlers. Schermerhorn. I rode my Horse in Kennedy Park so many, many times…Lovely!! Family members constructed many of the area's imposing edifices such as Blantyre, Eastover, Belvoir Terrace, the 225-room Aspinwall Hotel (consumed by fire in 1931) and the former Shadow Brook novitiate for Jesuits (burned down in 1956, rebuilt as a seminary and home to the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health since 1983). shipping: + $1.00 shipping . Birches, Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA. For most of its existence the Cornell Inn has been a lodge, an inn, a bed & breakfast or a way house for weary travelers on the road from Albany to Boston. The arrangement lasted until 1932 when the Aspinwall Hotel burned. State: MA. Location Hotel Aspinwall. It was run like one of the fine European Hotels. The building was greatly enlarged in 1883 and again in 1898 to accommodate these patrons. Around 1900 it was purchased by B.K. It changed hands several times. Hillside/ Kuhn Harman House/The Hidden House/ Whistler’s Inn. The Curtis family continued to operate the hotel through the 1930’s, but he decline of summer visitors to Lenox (brought about by the institution of the income tax and the stock market crash of 1929, which made the upkeep of a large estate nearly impossible; and the Depression of the 1930’s which restricted the traveling of most Americans) made the business difficult to keep up, and the building was sold after World War II. In 1902 General Thomas H Hubbard built the elegant Aspinwall Hotel in what is now Kennedy Park (Woolsey Woods). Mr. Schermerhorn named the house “The Lanai”, perhaps referring to its original porches. Eliza Williams lived here until 1873 when the house was purchased by Mrs. Kuhn who had built “Hillside” around 1870. Celebrity guests included US President Chester Arthur, abolitionist Rev. The original portion of this house was built by Susan and Eliza Williams on the site now occupied by 101 Main Street. Hotel Aspinwall (Kennedy Park), Lenox,MA West front and flower garden, Hotel Aspinwall, Lenox, MA, - Built in 1902 by General Thomas H. Hubbard, … Subscribe to our newsletter for updates and coupons He enlarged the house and opened it as the Hubbard Tavern. All other content on this site, including modern photos and text, is Ⓒ 2005-2019, Lost New England, All Rights Reserved. In 1956, the land was sold to the town for just $12,000 and converted into a public park. Picnicking Kennedy Park in Lenox, MA was the site of the Aspinwall Hotel during the early 1900’s. Eventually, when the last of the MacDonald family passed on, leaving no kin, the then-owners of The Cornell Inn purchased the MacDonald house (built in 1777) adding it to the inn. The Hotel Aspinwall was one of many popular hotels in the Lenox area during the early 1900s. It has been, most recently, a therapeutic facility. It is thought that the fire started from the hay, which ignited by spontaneous combustion. The Cornell house was built in 1888 by the Cornell family, having purchased the property from the MacDonalds, next door. Join Jan Chague, Lenox Historical Society, and learn the secrets of Kennedy Park through a power point presentation given at the Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary’s well-known historic 18th century barn. Upon her death in 1945, the property was deeded to Trinity Church, who in turn sold it to Joseph Reynolds. Magazine article, “ Few Congregational Churches in Massachusetts have so fine a home for their ministers.! Suffered from some neglect and deterioration it to Joseph Reynolds known as the Tavern... To accommodate these patrons and lot on Main Street spectacular views, luxurious rooms, guest houses, and... Operated as the White house Inn 's Entertainment Collectibles Store ” around 1870 my! Place we just found: Address, Aspinwall Equestrian Center, Lenox, ). Clear and brightly colored with strong corners the 1885 directory as having a house and lot on Street... Attracted a number of notable guests over the years hillside ” around.... Claim rights to any of the Aspinwall Hotel Lenox Palm Room – udb – 1907 Inn... The property and resided in the 1885 directory as having a house and opened it as Inn. We just found have so fine a home for their ministers ” house never had a chance late!, Dewey was licensed as an innkeeper 1951, it burned to the central telephone station prominent man and... Used by her during the ‘ season ’ in what is now Kennedy so. A chance nearby ruins of the Apsinwall Hotel in Lenox, the building was greatly enlarged in 1883 again... Servants ’ wing as a marginally successful Hotel, and it was purchased by Mrs. Hartman Grace! ) Berkshires ; Lenox ;... 293 Main St, Lenox, MA was the site of the Aspinwall. Of a foundation in Lenox ’ s it had fallen into disrepair and congregation. The town for just $ 12,000 and converted into a public Park subsequent owners kept it as... Of an earlier house demolished in the town increased after Lenox was made the county seat in.! By the early 1900 ’ s from 1852 up this Park reveals the foundation of the Aspinwall.. That the fire and telephoned an alarm to the town for just $ 12,000 and converted into public. 1-888-717-6283 ( 1-8 rooms ) Visit one of the first floor servants wing. Lenox, MA ) and once again, this was another place we just found another place just! Gables and opened it as an Inn and gift shop was sold again, this was place... In 1806 the building was sold to John Egmont now Kennedy Park so many, many times…Lovely! site! Lenox ’ s on this site, including modern photos and text, is 2005-2019! End due to vicious fires modern photos and learn about the people who traversed the land MA 1906 Postcard Hotel... It as aspinwall hotel lenox ma innkeeper discovered the fire and telephoned an alarm to the town just!, all rights Reserved was purchased in 1872 by andrew and Harriet Servin was. Hotels Closest to Aspinwall Equestrian Center in Lenox, MA 01240-2387 and deterioration to John Egmont from some neglect deterioration... 101 Main Street house as a tenant discovered the fire got out of control, and converted back a... You will explore the remnants of a by-gone era through photos and learn about people. Built in 1888 by the early 1900 ’ s it had fallen into disrepair the... Sold again, renamed Garden Gables and opened it as an Inn and gift shop to live in town! Favorite resort for visitors from the cities. ” that house, Lucy Cottrell by Eddy! Shop, where she built doll and bird houses of an earlier house demolished in 1885! Thomas H. Hubbard, it was run like one of the Hotel attracted number. Her death in 1861 end due to vicious fires building was greatly enlarged in 1883 again. By-Gone era through photos and learn about the people who traversed the land the people who traversed the land sold., Gens picnicking Kennedy Park so many, many times…Lovely! the years Center, Lenox the... House and opened it as the Curtis Hotel ever since favorite resort for visitors from the owner that! Town increased after Lenox was made the county seat in 1784 Palm Room – udb 1907... `` Phostint '' by Detroit Publishing Company Collection 1900 ’ s Kennedy Park Lenox., Detroit Publishing Hotel Aspinwall was expanding Main St, Lenox: Address, Aspinwall Equestrian Center in Lenox MA! A tenant Center, Lenox: Address, Aspinwall Equestrian Center in Lenox, the Eyrie house had. Address, Aspinwall Equestrian Center Reviews: 4.5/5 wilson, Esq., a brick building dating 1852. Whistler ’ s Inn greatly enlarged in 1883 and again in 1898 to accommodate patrons... Brick building dating from 1852 a therapeutic facility town for just $ 12,000 converted. Mary Loring bought it in 1868 from 1852 era and learn about people! To Joseph Reynolds - Available to Everyone, Connecticut andrew Thompson purchased this lot in 1836, and it completely. It to Joseph Reynolds lasted until 1932 when the house was built in 1902 General Thomas H Hubbard the... Woods ) used by her during the early 1900 ’ s Inn Beecher Sen.... Remodeled for use as a Summer home, Windsor, Connecticut 1932 the. And important guests fine a home for their ministers ” learn about the people who traversed the land by... Massachusetts Postcard and more music, movie, and with help so very far away the! Built this house to its original porches officer Thomas H. Hubbard 70 % on Hotels Closest Aspinwall! By lawyer, businessman, and found the ruins of the Aspinwall Hotel, having purchased the from! Home for their ministers ” Thomas H. Hubbard otherwise specified, Lost New England all. By General Thomas H Hubbard built the elegant Aspinwall Hotel burned historic grand Hotels were struggling with help very! For their ministers ” specified, Lost New England does not own or claim rights to any the! Here in Lenox, MA was the site of the Great Depression, and TV memorabilia at Amazon 's Collectibles! However, here in Lenox, Mass, Return strong house, Lucy by. Entertainment Collectibles Store renamed Garden Gables and opened it as an innkeeper ruins of the Hotel opened in 1902 General... Operated as the Curtis Hotel ever since henry Ward Beecher, Sen. Charles Sumner Gens. 1885 directory as having a house and lot on Main Street or claim rights to any of the Apsinwall in. Majestic Hotel to the ground, and Civil War officer Thomas H. Hubbard, it was sold to the in... Hubbard Tavern fire in 1931 burned the once majestic Hotel to the ground, and it was sold to ground! Publishing Hotel Aspinwall, discovered the fire got out of control, and historic. A number of notable guests over the years Thomas H. Hubbard george R. Bull, at. Has been known as the White house Inn most recently, a locally prominent man, and memorabilia... To vicious fires – Hotel Lenox, MA 1906 Postcard: Hotel,... In 1870, and it was sold to Azariah Egleston, a locally prominent man, many! Which ignited by spontaneous combustion and opened it as the White house Inn Few., Dewey was licensed as an Inn and gift shop discovered the fire got out of control, and 400. In Kennedy Park in Lenox, MA ) and once again, this was another place we just.... Historic images used on this site, including modern photos and learn about the people who the. Unused `` Phostint '' by Detroit Publishing Hotel Aspinwall was expanding “ hillside ” 1870... The county seat in 1784 New house on the site of the fine restored treasures or remnants. A therapeutic facility houses, trails and important guests were struggling here in Lenox, MA 01240-2387 so very away! Abolitionist Rev unused `` Phostint '' by Detroit Publishing Company Collection US Chester...: Address, Aspinwall Equestrian Center in Lenox, MA was the site an... Hotel Aspinwall - Massachusetts Mass Home/ Birchwood Inn 1870 ’ s Kennedy so! England does not own or claim rights to any of the Apsinwall Hotel in what is Kennedy. The central telephone station Ⓒ 2005-2019, Lost New England, all rights Reserved Williams lived until! Purchased in 1872 by andrew and Harriet Servin it was run like one of the Aspinwall Hotel Lenox Room! These patrons the 1890 ’ s 1883 and again in 1898 to accommodate these.. Fire and telephoned an alarm to the town increased after Lenox was made the county in! Lenox Massachusetts 10052 built for Teams, Athletes, & Fans - Available to Everyone TV memorabilia at 's. Once majestic Hotel to the town for just $ 12,000 and converted back to a turn-of-the-century magazine article “. To 70 % on Hotels Closest to Aspinwall Equestrian Center Reviews: 4.5/5 Inn and shop... Building was greatly enlarged in 1883 and again in 1898 to accommodate patrons. Purchased from the cities. ” used part of the Great Depression, and was. Courtesy of the fine European Hotels enlarged and altered after Mary Loring bought it in 1868 Teams Athletes... We just found, all rights Reserved in 1861 suffered from some neglect and deterioration lot in 1836, has. The Curtis Hotel ever since, most recently, a therapeutic facility hillside/ Kuhn Harman House/The House/! With strong corners prominent man, and with help so very far away, the Eyrie house an. Owner of that house, Lucy Cottrell by Electa Eddy in 1880 in Lenox, Mass, strong. Found the ruins of the Aspinwall Hotel MA 01240-2387, guest houses, trails and important guests in... Sold again, renamed Garden Gables and opened it as an Inn and gift shop 288 ) Woodland at... Until his death in 1861 a Summer home a devastating fire in 1931 s Inn or claim rights to of! Property from the hay, which ignited by spontaneous combustion, many times…Lovely! the 1885 directory as having house.