Wikimedia Nigeria is the official affiliate of the Wikimedia Foundation in Nigeria. Our primary objective is to promote free access to knowledge through Wikipedia and other sister projects run by the Wikimedia Foundation. We are committed to the promotion of open content and free knowledge in Nigeria and beyond. We empower people to contribute to Wikipedia and other sister projects to ensure that knowledge are freely accessible . We share the ideal of a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge, and here in Nigeria we play a key role in actualization of that vision.
- To promote Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects in Nigeria
- To increase the quality and quantity of Nigeria related topics that are currently underrepresented on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- To support the growth, development and distribution of free educational materials in Nigeria
- To partner with education based organization including the government to create educational contents and its free distribution
- To support the mission of the Wikimedia Foundation
- To support the use of the Wikimedia projects as important tools for education and learning in Nigeria
Wikimedia Nigeria is committed to the ideal of a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge and we believe that free access to knowledge is a fundamental right.
Our mission is to support and promote free access to knowledge, work with volunteers across the country, partner with governmental and non-governmental organizations, cultural and educational sectors and other mission aligned groups to make knowledge available for free access.
- Our operating principles are based on our values, as follows:
- We promote the values inherent in the concept of open knowledge
- We recognize transparency as a key factor in every growth and development
- We are committed to the ideal of free access to knowledge
- We ensure that contents released for educational purpose is with high level of accuracy
- We promote the use of licenses, formats and sources that support open knowledge
- We are committed to promoting the provision of high quality open knowledge to everyone
- We recognize that the contribution of volunteers is central to our activities, growth and development.
- We are committed to encouraging, involving and engaging members of our community
- We learn from and openly share our learning with the global Wikimedia movement
- We are transparent in our operations
- We support, encourage and promote diversity within our community
- We are not-for-profit organization that engages actively with the global movement
- Organizing Edit-a-thons for Wikipedia, Wikisource, and Wikidata in Nigeria
- Promote editing of Nigeria-related content on Wikimedia projects
- Trainings around Nigeria on how to edit Wikimedia projects
- Wiki Loves Africa
- Wikipedia Education Program
- Wikipedia Zero
- Wikipedia Campus Ambassadors
- Open Street Maps Editing
- Wikipedia Offline (Kiwix)
- Wikimedia In Residence (WIR)